Apr 28, 2011

Frothingham Best





About 3 years ago, I received this entry in my website guest book from Matt at Great Newsome Brewery.

"We are a small brewery based on a farm in East Yorkshire, England in the village of South Frodingham, which I believe is possibly the original home of the Frothingham family name. I know this because we released a new ale in January called Frothingham Best named after the forefathers of our village/hamlet. Details of the beer and why we used the name can be seen on our website www.greatnewsomebrewery.co.uk. It is only available in casks, for supply to local pubs etc but we hope to bottle it in the near future.
Great Newsome is the name of our farm in South Frodingham and our neighbours live at Frodingham Hall once the home of the Frothingham family."

At that time, we were planning a trip to France and Italy, so I wrote back and asked if the ale would be available in Paris. Unfortunately, it was not! Recently, I heard from him again. Frothingham Best is available in bottles now and is sold in London. Yep! We are going on a road trip, or rather a very long plane trip! I won't be able to bring any home on the plane, but I will be able to keep the bottle as a souvenir.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

Follow up: I was able to buy two bottles of the Frothingham Best and transport it from London to Venice, then onto a cruise in the Eastern Med. It then survived the long plane trip home and our family sampled it on July 4th weekend. The two bottles are proudly displayed on my dining room hutch. The consensus; It would be fun to spend an evening drinking Frothingham Best in a London Pub. Who's ready for a road/plane trip??